Going on a girls-only trip is one of the most effective ways to escape the stress of everyday life and just unwind with your closest friends. While Athens may not be the first destination that comes to mind, you’ll find that it can be an excellent choice for a getaway with the girls.
Athens is the capital city of Greece and one of the oldest cities in the world. The finest example of Western Civilization in its glory days, the city has an incredibly colorful past that can be seen in its variety of landmarks and monuments. Throughout the years, the Greek capital has transformed into a modern and bustling metropolis while still retaining its ancient charm. That’s why we’ve put together a list of top things to do on a girls’ trip to Athens.
Fun Things to Do in Athens with the Girls
Athens is filled with top-tier museums, ancient structures, world-class restaurants, high-end boutiques, and other points of interest that you and your ladies can check out. Don’t forget to store your bags and other large items at a luggage storage locker in Athens for a hassle-free trip.
- Explore the magnificent Acropolis of Athens.
When talking about the best tourist spots in Greece, the one that always makes it on top of the list is the Acropolis. An attraction that is unlike any other, this ancient citadel located on top of the hill overlooks the city, which is appropriate since Acropolis means “high city” in Greek. This landmark is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world and is the symbol of Ancient Greece at its best.
The area is made up of a number of monuments and buildings, with the most popular one being the Parthenon. Constructed in 438 B.C., this temple is dedicated to the goddess Athena and is the most significant Classical Greece building that’s still in existence. The building also functioned as a treasury and a Christian church at one point in history.
Apart from the Parthenon, there are other noteworthy buildings and ruins found in the complex, including the Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion, and the Propylaea. To make sure that you and your girlfriends don’t miss out on all the interesting spots here, book a guided tour of the Acropolis, which allows you to skip the lines and learn about the site’s history from an experienced guide.
- Sample the best of Greek cuisine.
While Athens has a diverse dining scene that features plenty of cuisines from all parts of the world, you would be remiss not to sample local food from authentic Greek tavernas and restaurants that have stood the test of time. Whether you’re looking to try local favorites or a fancy meal from a Michelin-starred restaurant, you’ll definitely find a dining spot that will satisfy your cravings. Here are our personal picks for must-try Greek restaurants in Athens:
- Varoulko Seaside: Offering Greek and Mediterranean dishes and headed by Michelin-starred chef Lefteris Lazarou.
- Orizontes: Situated atop the Lycabettus Hill, this critically-acclaimed restaurant serves some of the finest Mediterranean dishes in the city.
- Klimataria: One of the oldest tavernas in the city known for their Greek staples such as roast lamb and saganaki (fried cheese).
- O Kostas: A local institution, this food stall serves some of the cheapest and most delicious gyros in Athens.
- Strofi Athenian Restaurant: The best place in the city for fresh seafood dishes.
- Check out the city’s world-class museums.
Everyone knows that Athens is one of the most historically significant cities in the world but the best way to get an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the city’s past and culture is through its museums. The Greek capital is a treasure trove of world-renowned museums and cultural institutions. Here are some of our picks of museums that you and your girls should visit:
- Acropolis Museum: Needless to say, any visit to the Acropolis site would not be complete without making a stop at the Acropolis Museum. This facility was built to house the various artifacts and relics that were dug up and collected from the original site.
- National Archaeological Museum: This museum is home to Greece’s largest and most important collection of archaeological finds from various eras and ages, including the Neolithic Period, Cycladic era, and the Bronze Age.
- Benaki Museum: Located in Kolonaki, the Benaki Museum is actually a complex comprised of five separate museums that take you on a journey through Greek history, starting from the Ancient Times up until the mid-20th century.
- Museum of the City of Athens: This quaint museum, which is located in the former residence of King Otto and Queen Amalia, shares the history of Athens since 1834, which was when the city was named the capital of Greece.
- Spend some dollars on shopping.
We all know that girls love to splurge and shop until they drop and Athens offers plenty of choices when it comes to shopping. Whether you want to score some unique finds and antiquities or check out some designer brands and labels, you can find all of them in the city. The following are the best shopping areas in Athens:
- Voukourestiou Street: Located in the Kolonaki area, this whole street is filled with some of the world’s most famous fashion brands, luxury boutiques, and other high-end shops.
- Monastiraki Market: Considered the most famous flea market in Athens, you can find hundreds of stalls and vendors selling a variety of goods and products here – from clothes, shoes, and accessories to antiques, books, and outdoor equipment.
- Ermou Street: This is a pedestrian-only street that has a good mix of commercial chain shops and independently-owned boutiques.
- Exarcheia: Enjoy this neighborhood in Athens known for its high concentration of antique shops and vintage stores.
- Go dancing and drinking with your girls.
The nightlife scene in Athens is vibrant and you and your ladies will have a fun time sampling cocktails, making new friends, and seeing what the local party culture is like. While almost all neighborhoods in the city have their own nightlife scene going on, one of the best areas for partying is the Gazi district, which is renowned for its nightclubs and bars. Among the popular places to go to are:
No doubt, you and your gal pals will have a terrific time in Athens. Whatever you do not have time to see can be added to your itinerary next time!